It was nice to find this on my inbox this morning from a good friend living in NYC.
Cinema Tropical has compiled a list of the Top Ten Latin American Films of the Decade (2000-2009), based on a survey of distinguished critics, scholars and film professionals based in the New York City area.
This first-ever survey of its kind was culled from 35 prominent local voices in film whose work has been devoted to the promotion and dissemination of Latin American cinema in New York and the United States. In all, 124 films representing 14 Latin American countries were nominated for the distinction of being Best of the Decade, demonstrating the great quality and diversity of films from the region.
And the winners are…
1. LA CIENAGA (Lucrecia Martel, Argentina, 2001)
2. AMORES PERROS (Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mexico, 2000
3. LUZ SILENCIOSA / SILENT LIGHT (Carlos Reygadas, Mexico, 2007)
4. CITY OF GOD / CIDADE DE DEUS (Fernando Meirellos, Brazil, 2002)
5. ÔNIBUS 174 / BUS 174 (Jose Padilha, Felipe Lacerda, Brazil, 2002)
6. Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN (Alfonso Cuarón, Mexico, 2002)
7. WHISKY (Juan Pablo Rebella, Pablo Stoll, Uruguay, 2004)
8. LA MUJER SIN CABEZA / THE HEADLESS WOMAN (Lucrecia Martel, Argentina, 2008)
9. LA NIÑA SANTA / THE HOLY GIRL (Lucrecia Martel, Argentina, 2004)
10. EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO / PAN’S LABYRINTH (Guillermo del Toro, Mexico, 2006)
Click here to see the complete list, the participants in the survey and the individual selections.